Thursday, December 13, 2007

Becoming a Glutard

I always tell the same story about being diagnosed with celiac disease. That week I had already quit smoking. Completely unrelated, since I didn't even know what Celiac disease was; quitting smoking was a promise I had made. The following Saturday I found out. I could no longer drink beer. Two of my favorite vices gone at once. Do over!

The fear became that a third "vice", the love of food, would be gone as well.

I hope all the major adjusting is adjusted as it has almost been a year. Learning how to order in a strange restaurant, or even find a strange restaurant that would have a chance of not making me ill for days. How to eat during the day. But mostly how to continue the love and passion for good food.

Gluten free eating can also be liberating. There are no processed foods, no fast foods, and you become aware of the ingredients of everything, except in the uncontrollable time of restaurant eating. When controlled though, the same amount of passion, love for fresh ingredients, experimentation, and enjoyment of food still exists.

Explaining this is explaining why accommodations of food needs is an important part of reviewing a breakfast place. Although it might not be an allergy, when a place is insincere or uncaring about a food need, I know. We all know. And as more people are diagnosed and awareness is increased the service business must take this into consideration.

note* blogger's spell checker does not even recognize celiac :)

No comments: