Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Breakfast in the UK

I somehow have wound up in the UK frequently, and by frequently I mean an average of once or twice a year for the last few years. This has been either for vacation, stopping through for another destination, or for business (my position is in the UK). So for many reasons, I seem to get there a lot. From the touristy museums, to the wonderful shows, to the off the beaten path areas, it is very easy to be well entertained for a day or a week.

I should be upfront...I am not a huge fan of British food. I find it bland and under spiced, which is surprising given their advanced culture. This is with the exception of a few Indian places. And I must stress, just a few Indian places. More often than not, the Indian food I have stumbled onto in the UK tastes like Campbell's tomato soup poured over boiled chicken and somehow called tikka masalla.
But the one meal of the day I can be happy with is breakfast. There are just some slight modifications from what is standard over there to what is standard here that make it worth waking up for. First, their bacon is better. Called back bacon, it is much less fatty but not nearly as crisp. The other standard that has taken me several trips to get used to and appreciate is the serving of baked beans at breakfast. Also frequently making the plate is a broiled tomato (and said with the longest of ahhhs in tomato) or whole mushrooms. All of which, however, are cooked quite blandly and without many if any spices.

It has been said that to eat well in Britain you should eat breakfast three times a day. This might well be the only meal that you can afford while in London. Coffee and Tea included.

No comments: